What is Harris county rental assistance?
The Houston City and the Harris County of Texas have come together to offer $159 million rental and utilities assistance to the households who are going through economic hardships during the Covid-19 pandemic times.
There will be two central agencies who would be tasked with the responsibility of distributing the funds; and they are – BakerRipley and Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston.
The Houston-Harris County Emergency Rental Assistance Program will facilitate those families and households who have a median income of less than 80% of the Texas Median Family Income. This facility would be for the tenants as well as the landlords. The landlords who need financial aid would need to register their property for the program beforehand.
The applications are currently open and the last date of application is July 25, 2021. So far 84,435 applications have been submitted.
How to Apply for Harris county recovery assistance?
First and foremost, the landlord should enroll to the program and register their property at houstonharrishelp.org/landlords. The tenants can choose their landlord and apply at hhccommunity.force.com/tenant/s/.
If the landlord does not register his/ her property, then also the tenants can apply online by furnishing some information like the house number, location, street address, etc.
They can specify the amount of rent due and upload supporting documents along with the proof of income and Covid-19 financial impact.
After the application is approved, the landlord will be cross-verified for the past due to rental amount, and then both the tenant and landlord will receive a “confirmed pledge” mail that would specify the approved amount of assistance. The assistance amount will be directly credited to the landlord’s account.
Here are the eligibility requirements:
- Applicants must be legal US citizens or should have a resident status.
- They should be having a valid state or federal identification and Social Security Number.
- They should be residing in the Harris County.
- The applicant should be the head of the household or family.
- Applicants must have a valid lease or mortgage statement.
- The household’s income must be below 80% of the Harris County median income.
- They must provide a proof of income and financial hardship such as 30 days of paycheck stubs or workmen’s compensation letter, etc.
- The landlord or mortgage company should agree to the terms & conditions of the Houston-Harris County Emergency Rental Assistance Program and agree to guarantee residency for the next month.
- The eligible applicant must provide a W9 form from the landlord, apartment manager or the mortgage company.
How to check harris county rental assistance status?
Harris county rental assistance Covid-19 2021 application status can be checked online on the website https://www.houstonharrishelp.org/.
The Harris County 1500 assistance can be availed by those families who are unable to pay their housing rent, mortgages, and utility bills due to financial crisis.
You can contact the Houston-Harris County Emergency Rental Assistance Program at hotline number 832-402-7568. The call center is open from 9 am to 6 pm (Monday to Friday) and 10 am to 2 pm on Saturdays.