Last updated on May 20th, 2021 at 05:36 pm
What is Miami-Dade Section 8 Application?
As per Section 8 of the Housing Act of 1937, Section 8 is responsible for approving and authorizing the payment of rental housing assistance to landlords for low-income families and households in the U.S. Section 8 programs are managed by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. In 2018, almost 2.2 million households were provided with Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers.
The Housing Choice Voucher Program is a “tenant-based” rental assistance provided to individuals or families who are falling under low-income group category so that they can find rental accommodation as per the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) standards. Once an applicant is approved for receiving a voucher, they must find accommodation within two to four months’ time.
Voucher amounts are calculated based on the Fair Market Rents (FMRs) which are estimated by the Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Voucher amounts may vary as per city or county, size of the housing unit, etc.
As Public Housing is for low-income households and individuals, therefore following are the eligibility requirements for Miami Dade Section 8 application.
- Elderly, disabled individuals or having a family member with some disability would be given preference.
- Applicants must either be U.S. citizens or have eligible immigration status.
- Having low annual gross income which is 80% of the median income for Miami-Dade County.
- 40% of new admissions should be accepted from extremely low-income groups (having 30% area median income).
- The remaining 60% could be from income groups earning up to 80% of the Miami-Dade County median income.
The latter two points are applicable for Miami-Dade County especially.
How to apply for Miami-Dade Section 8?
Here’s how to apply for the Section 8 application for Miami, Florida:
- Go to the local PHA in Miami and find the open Section 8 waiting list.
- Then, do as the housing authorities instruct, fill the application form and submit it to the PHA.
- Or, fill out the online application form and submit it.
Also read: Section 8 New York City Application.
Miami Dade Section 8 application process opens up and the applicants are chosen for the verification process, they must submit the following documents.
- Driver’s license as Picture ID.
- Medicare or Medicaid cards.
- Social Security Cards
- Income proof
- Proof of assets
- Verification of child care expenses
- Doctor’s name, address, and contact number
- Emergency point of contact
- Name and contact of the last three landlords.
- Verification of dependents
- Verification for disabled family members
Miami Dade Section 8 waiting list
As there is a huge number of families who are in need of affordable housing facilities, the applicants for Miami Dade County’s subsidized rental housing programs are usually put on a ranked waiting list via a computerized random selection system.
This is done only to ensure that households get a random selection chance to avail the Miami-Dade Public Housing and Community Development’s subsidized rental housing programs.
Once the application period is over, after that, applicants are assigned the waitlist rank. Once an applicant moves to the top of the waiting list, they would be notified by an appointment letter to initiate the eligibility scrutinization process.