What is Pell grant application?
The Pell Grant application is meant for a requirement-based federal financial help for those students who belong to the low-income group. It is given off by the United States Department of Education and pays for the college costs, tuition fee, boarding and lodging, and even other expenses towards completing a course or educational degree. The best part of the Pell grant is that it is free and need not be returned to the US government ever. It’s not a loan that needs repayment, instead, it is a financial help free of cost from the Federal funds for the future poor yet bright students.
If you plan to go for this grant, you must first complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). It was created in 1972 and the federal Pell grant is awarded to students from 1973-1974.
How to apply for Pell Grant Application?
To apply for the Pell Grant, each year you must complete the FAFSA application form.
The FAFSA form is available at this link, you must fill in the FAFSA form each year if you keep having a financial need to ensure the grants reach you every year.
Step 1: Once you have opened the FAFSA form, you will be able to see the screen where you have to choose one of the given options.
Step 2: Add your FAFSA login ID username, email, mobile phone number, and also password. Press the login tab. If you don’t have an account, create one with them.
Step 3: Add the personal information, and other segments to create an FSA ID.
Step 4: After creating your FSA ID, you need to do the FAFSA applications.
Fill in all the details and add all documents and proofs to the application.
Once done, submit the application form.
What are the Application Requirements?
The FAFSA application has the following requirements that must be fulfilled before filling up the application form.
- The social security number of the applicant is important and will be required for filing the application.
- If you are not a US citizen but have migrated from other countries, you must provide your alien registration number.
- Federal income tax returns must be filled with W-2 forms and other monetary records.
- Use your bank statements and investment records, if any to confirm your financial position in the country.
- If you have any income from untaxed sources, then those records must also be included.
- You must also have an FSA ID to electronically record your signatures.
- If you are not earning your own money, and depend on your parents for educational financing then the above-mentioned particulars must be included for your parents.
Certain eligibility requirements must be met while doing the registration process.
- You must be a bonafide US citizen/ US national/have a Green card/ arrival-departure record. You can also be eligible if you have an immigration status even if it is battered or if you have a T-Visa.
- You must be qualified for admissions to a college or a university during the process.
- Academically, you must be sound and you must continuously do well in your academic courses over the years in the colleges.
- You must not be a defaulter in any other federal student loan.
- Any federal student grant must not owe any money to you.
- You must confirm that the federal student aid you receive will be used by you only for your educational requirements.
- A high school diploma or a GED (general educational development) certificate is required by the student to apply for the aid.
- If you are already enrolled, you must show an ability-to-benefit test and must have completed minimally six credit hours towards the degree or certificate during the span of time.
Students benefit if they are from the lower economic group with these funds and the Pell grant can fulfill such demands. Usually, FAFSA is how one can ask for a Pell grant. The student can use the funds for boarding, lodging and also for their tuition fees with the Pell grant amount.
How much is summer Pell grant?
If in a year, a student is granted $6345 for a year, then for their summer grant, they will receive $3172.50 for attending the classes in their summer.
Do you automatically get Pell grant?
Pell grant is given to students from participating universities and colleges and can get it only after one has filled in the FAFSA application form. Noone can get automatically enrolled for the Pell Grant without the application.
When is the Pell grant application deadline?
FAFSA is required not just by Pell Grant but also by other federal financial aid, so the deadline to complete the Pell grant application for FAFSA is 30th June this year. However, some states have an earlier date for completing the FAFSA application.
What Pell grant money can be used for?
The Pell grant money can be used for education purposes only.
Who provides Pell grants?
Pell grant is given by the US Department of Education.
Is it too late to apply for Pell grant?
The Pell grant is to be completed before the April deadline every year for the academic session.
Does Pell grant cover summer classes?
Yes, the Pell grant will cover summer classes for the students who receive the grant.
Here’s a bit about the Pell grant application and scholarship. Before applying, read more about it from here to know more about the process. Pell grant is one of the oldest grants of the United States that is given to students for free and all you need to do is prove your lower economic status for enrolling yourself for the grant.