What is PRTD application?
When immigrating to Canada, you will be able to take up a permanent residency (PR). When people do not qualify for immigration requirements, they can still immigrate on different compassionate and humanitarian grounds. Once you become a permanent resident, you receive a PR card, and you no longer need a PRTD (Permanent Resident Travel Document).
Now, if you have left Canada and meanwhile, your PR card expires, or you end up losing it, you will then have difficulty returning to Canada. When inside Canada, this might not be a problem since you can always get a new card by applying for it.
In circumstances where you have a lost or expired PR card condition, you can apply for a PRTD application.
A typical PRTD will resemble a visa counterfoil one receives regularly. IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) will issue you PRTD and append it to your passport, and it serves as a single entry visa to Canada post which you can apply for another PR card.
How to apply for PRTD Application in Canada?
Filling out the PRTD application in Canada is possible with the filling up of an application form.
If a representative is representing you, then you must also fill out a representative form. The current processing fee is $50.
Given below is a little about the application form filling.
- You must fill out the IMM 5524 form and follow the instruction guide.
- Two photographs and an original and valid passport must be used.
- Photocopies of all passports used in the past and travel documents for the last five years. Follow the document guide from here.
- Complete and scan your IMM 5524 form and pay your fees to collect a receipt.
- Clearly note down your flight number, travel date, and airport at which you will arrive in Canada.
- Send out a mail to [email protected] specifying the PRTD application on the subject line. Attach all relevant documents to support your entry and exit into the mail and send them across.
- Bring your ‘Passport Request’ letter to the VAC for your passport submission.
If you have an IMM 5292 or IMM 5688 confirmation for permanent residency or a record of landing (IMM 1000) you can apply for a PRTD application. PRTD requirements include the following documents.
- Prove you are who you say you are, by submitting documents.
- Permanent resident status must be confirmed
- You must fulfill the residency obligation of a permanent resident
How to check Application Status?
To check the application status, this is the given link to click.
- Include your identification type from the dropdown and then add the number.
- Add your family name, birth date, and birthplace information.
- Once done, click on the Continue tab to move to the next screen.
- Add the rest of the details and then press the application status tab to complete the application process.
How long does it take to apply for PRTD?
It takes somewhere between two to eight weeks to get the PRTD approval.
Where to submit PRTD application?
You must submit all documents in a sealed envelope with the document checklist to the PRTD office or send them a mail at [email protected].
If you are panicking right now for your PRTD application and have come across this blog article, read it and complete the process as mentioned here.