What is SS5 application?
The SS5 application is designed to get a new social security card and number or if you want to update or change something within the social security number. To get the social security card, you must submit the SS5 filled form alongwith two supporting documents.
These documents must prove your age, identity, and also your citizenship status. These certificates should either be originals or certified copies and, in any case, cannot be photocopied. The form can be recognized by the name on the form, which reads ‘Application for a social security card and also mentions social security administration.’
How to fill out SS5 application form?
You have no provision to submit the form online, however, you can download a copy of the application form. To fill out the SS5 application form, here’s what you must do.
- Add your complete name at birth, and add any other name if it is printed on the social security card.
- Include the social security number if you have already had one.
- Race, ethnicity, citizenship, and sex need to go into the form.
- Mother’s and father’s complete name and social security number if any.
- Add the place of birth as well.
- If you have filled in the SSN application before, you also need to inform that in this form.
- Add the date of filling the form, working phone number, mailing address, and also your signatures
- If you are filling the form on someone’s behalf, you need to mention that too.
How to apply for SS5 application social security card?
After filling up the social security form, submit it with at least two other documents that specify your age and identity, US citizenship, and immigration status.
- Complete the hard copy of the form with either blue or black ink.
- Mentioning your race and ethnicity is voluntary, and if you wish not to, there is no force on this aspect.
- If you are applying for a child who is less than 18 years, you must show the social security number of the parents.
- Add an address where you can receive your card that will take a span of 7 to 14 days.
Submit the social security card to the social security office, and any of the documents sent to the office will be returned to your address for sure. The social security centres can be checked from the given site to know where you must submit your form.
What are the requirements?
If you are a non-resident, here are the document lists you need to submit.
- An ID card sanctioned by the government.
- Form I-551, Form I- 766, Form I- 94, and Form I- 20 (this must be submitted for F-I students alone).
Along with the above, you must also submit, a US passport, Driver’s License, birth certificate if any, and a state-issued ID card.
Wrap up thoughts
Sooner or later, everyone has to go for the SSN and card. If you think you are on the verge of taking the SSN card, please refer to the information provided for ease.